Canadohta Lake is the Second Largest Natural Lake in
Pennsylvania and has a history that can be traced
back at least to 1798.
First named Washington Lake, in 1860 changed to Oil Creek
Lake, then in 1894 changed to Canadohta Lake after
the great Chief Canadaughta, a Chief of the Cornplanter
Tribe of the Six Nations.
1865-1871 the Union & Titusville Railroad was constructed
and ran along the west side of the lake, through
Lincolnville, Riceville, and Centerville and connected with
the PA RR at Tryronville. Through the aggression of a local
landowner and farmer, Ben Ruggles, in 1905 Canadohta Lake
was rendered a public trust by the state of Pennsylvania.
Marcresan Beach area was purchased in 1922 by E.P. Lee and
developed by him and his son Max Lee. The original
park buildings were destroyed by fire in 1931.
Canadohta Roller Rink once was the Collins Dance Hall which
featured Guy Lombardo, Rudy Vallee and Ozzie Nelson
in the 1930's.
* Many changes have been made in
the past 200 years in the development of the
Canadohta Lake Resort area. Today there are approximately
900 cottages and homes in the Lake area along with the many
businesses listed in this website.